-----
(I'm on the right. At first, the lights count down... when the last one goes off, we start. They then light back up according to distance pedaled... first to light all four wins.)
(Part of the grand prize, a very nice $75 jersey... in my favorite colors, no less.)

250m sprints Final placement and rider's best time of the night
1ST - BRUCE:11.611 Twin Six jersey Surly hat and socks
2ND-TIM:11.652 Twin Six jersey
3RD-TYLER:12.235 Surly jethro tool and flask <=== friend of mine
4TH-KYLE:12.034 Surly tugnut <=== friend of mine
5TH-BRACKET Surly socks
BRIAN:12.426
MIKE:13.125 <=== friend of mine
JUSTIN:13.308
STU:13.821
6TH-BRACKET T-shirts from Twin Six, Saris, and Heartland promotions
CRUSTY:12.428
BOOZO:13.547
MAT:14.274
BRYCE:14.400
DON:14.650
WOODROW:14.912
TONY:15.080
F.C.:15.257
WOMENS 1ST-ANGIE:16.438 Twin Six jersey
WOMENS 2ND-SHANNON:16.966 Twin Six t-shirt and Cycle-Ops backpack
(These race results copied from here).
More pictures here.
----
Alright, some clarification:
So, early on, it had seemed that one bike was somehow different, because despite seeming to pedal just as fast if not faster, the rider on this bike seemed to have a hard time winning. However, the guys that were putting the race on insisted that everything was fine. So, whenever it came down to my friends and I racing against each other, we'd flip a coin to see who got the "faster" bike. I won both of these coin tosses. I also just chose that bike whenever I was competing against someone I didn't know... figured it couldn't hurt. So, I never ended up having to ride on the "slower" bike.
Turns out that the slower bike was in fact geared 1 tooth lower in the front. A lower gearing translates to having to pedal faster to move the same distance. While in real life, this might actually be an advantage if you were pedaling up a hill, the rollers provided so little resistance that essentially it just forced the person on the slow bike to pedal faster just to break even.
The guy who took second place was amazingly fast. He beat everyone else he rode against, even while on the slow bike... so I know I was faster than those people. But I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have beat him on evenly geared bikes. BUT, there is one thing that makes me feel pretty good: during one of my sprints, I beat the best time of the night (up to that point). This actually means something since everyone previously did an individual time-trial on the fast bike... including Tim : ) _So, I know that at least once, I rode faster than him._ Whether I could've done so head to head, I don't know.
(Sorry for the rambling post... my guilty conscience makes it impossible for me to say I "won" without explaining all this.)
3 comments:
good job honey. :) i'm proud of you.
You did great, Bruce! Congratulations.
that was amazing, you were great. i watched few times and tried to estimate paddle/minute, not possible, do you know?
Post a Comment