
(radio edit, technically no profanity)
Pimp C, half of the rap duo UGK, died on my birthday.
In mourning of his passing, let's all drink a styrofoam cup full of sizzurp.
Seriously though, that's too bad. He was entertaining. I suspect he passed away of a drug overdose.
Interestingly, most rappers brag about doing any and all drugs except cocaine (eg, 8Ball: "I be smokin' plenty 'dro, but I don't put nothin' up my nose"). I think due to the fact that it's much more "credible" if they claim they sold it, but didn't use it.
Pimp C, on the other hand, didn't hide his fondness for cocaine, and referenced it it songs. For example: "Let me snort some white girl... you heard me right, we play wit' our nose(s)."
The only other rapper I know who mentions using it is Project Pat (who sucks terribly). It's noteworthy that both he and Pimp C did significant jail time. I wonder if that's where they picked it up.
UGK had a song entirely about cocaine, called, fittingly enough, Cocaine. It's a pretty insightful song, at least as far as rap songs about drugs go.
--
Bun B's verse:
They call it cocaine, cocaina, llello,
Coca leaf, whatever you wanna say bro
Cocaine is a hell of a drug, it ain't hum-drum
And we all know where it's at, but where it come from...
It's been around for hundreds of years, exploited by the rich
They even use to put it in Coca-Cola, ain't that a bitch
You had kings, queens, princes and princesses
Even priests and popes, fought to get it in different instances
A privileged possession, for dozens of centuries
Helped a few wars, legal and illegal industries
Grown by the cartels, protected by gorillas
Transported by the best, to the ghettos to straight killers
The power of the powder..., you don't understand?
Ask Dubya man, he's a dealer and a fan
Of cocaine.
(Part of) Pimp C's verse:
Uh, the bitch [cocaine] been good to me
Been bad to my homies, keep it cool with me
I played it by the rules, and the regulations
I use to switch cars with the Mexican at the gas station
Mine had money in it, his had the work...
Cause after the deal, we would all celebrate
Happy cause it wasn't no jacking, and the product was straight...
Everything was cool: I was ice cold,
'Til I let that bitch get up in my nose.
--
To support my claim that this song is pretty insightful, I will provide some lyrics from a Lil' Jon song called "Da Blow." I think this will make UGK seem like Shakespeare, by comparison.
--
Chorus:
Da blow ...
Da pills...
Da 'yac...
Da herb...
Da blow..
Da blow..
Da blow..
Da blow..
Da blow..
Part of the lyrics:
The snow
the white
yeah Miami get crunk
when I see 'em in the club they be sniffing up that skunk,
Homie 1 gee ya right
give me 1 G' of white
give me 2 G' of white
Give me 3 G' of white
an 8 ball for the night
--
(see? told ya)
No comments:
Post a Comment